What better way to celebrate Texas than with these sweet and spicy corn fritters from internet sensation and home-cook Laura Vitale? This recipe brings the heat with fresh chopped jalapenos and is balanced out with the sweetness of SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener and sweet corn. It’s the perfect appetizer for a Texas-sized party!
Sweet & Spicy Corn Fritters Recipe
Serving Size: 1 Fritter
Makes: 30 Fritters
- 1 cup white onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons jalapeno, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- 3 tablespoons SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 15-ounce can of corn, drained (or 1 ¾ cup fresh or frozen corn, cooked)
- 1 4-ounce can chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 avocado, sliced (optional)
- Preheat oven to 385°F and spray two 12-cup muffin tins with non-stick cooking spray. Over medium heat, sauté white onion, garlic, and jalapeno in olive oil for about 10 minutes, or until onion and jalapeno soften.
- In a medium bowl, combine bread crumbs, cumin, chili powder, sea salt, black pepper, cayenne, and SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated. Add sautéed mixture and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine egg, lime juice, corn, green chilies, and cilantro. Add to the bowl with the mixed ingredients and stir to combine.
- Spoon two tablespoons of mixture into prepared muffin tin. Press mixture evenly into the bottom of each tin. Bake for 25 minutes. Garnish with a small slice of avocado (if desired).
NUTRITION FACTS* Per Serving (1 Fritter): Calories: 60, Calories from Fat: 25, Total Fat: 2.5g, Saturated Fat: .5g, Cholesterol: less than 5mg, Sodium: 65mg, Total Carbs: 9g, Dietary Fiber: 2g, Sugars: 3g, Protein: 2g
*Optional ingredients are not included in the nutrition facts for this recipe.