Made with whole wheat flour and 50% less sugar, it's healthy enough to eat for dessert, or breakfast!
by Kaleigh M. from Lively Table.
Yields 10 Servings
Serving Size: 1 slice (1/10th of cake)
For the Apples
3 apples, any kind
½ tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon SPLENDA® Naturals Sugar & Stevia Sweetener Blend
For the Cake
1 1/3 cups white whole wheat flour
½ tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon cloves
2 large eggs
¼ cup canola oil (or other vegetable oil)
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
½ cup SPLENDA® Naturals Sugar & Stevia Sweetener Blend
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line the bottom of a 10-inch cast iron skillet or other baking dish with parchment paper (optional) and spray with oil.
- Dice two apples into ½-inch cubes. Slice the third apple very thinly for the top of the cake. Alternatively, you can dice all of the apples.
- Toss apples in cinnamon and SPLENDA® Naturals Sugar & Stevia Sweetener Blend. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, oil, applesauce, SPLENDA® Naturals Sugar & Stevia Sweetener Blend, orange juice, and vanilla. Add wet ingredients to dry and stir until just combined.
- Pour half of the patter into prepared skillet. Top evenly with diced apples. Pour remaining batter over apples and spread evenly. Arrange sliced apples over the top (or sprinkle evenly with remaining diced apples).
- Bake 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool at least 10 minutes before slicing.
- Serve with a dollop of yogurt, whipped cream, or ice cream.
Nutrition Info per Serving (1 slice; 1/10th of cake)
Total Fat 7g
Saturated Fat 1g
Trans Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 34g
Dietary Fiber 4g