Looking for a bit more fiber? Replace all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour in your favorite baking recipe, like this one for Pineapple Plantain Muffins.
Pineapple Plantain Muffins Recipe
Servings Per Recipe: 15
Serving Size: 1 muffin
- 1 large ripe plantain
- ¼ teaspoon light butter
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 cups whole wheat flour plus 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons light butter
- ¾ cup SPLENDA® Sugar Blend
- 1/3 cup SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg yolk
- 8 ounces light vanilla yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 small ripe banana, mashed
- ¾ cup pineapple chunks
- ½ cup sliced almonds, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- To prepare plantain: Slice skin of plantain and spread ¼ teaspoon butter and cinnamon on top. Wrap in aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes. Allow to cool. Remove from skin and set aside.
- To prepare muffins: Sift flour, baking powder and baking soda into a small bowl. In a large bowl, cream remaining butter and SPLENDA® Sugar Blend and SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend. Add egg whites and yolk, yogurt, vanilla, mashed banana, and plantain.
- Fold in flour mixture. Fold in pineapple.
- Line muffin pans with paper liners. Fill each liner about 2/3 full. Top with sliced almonds if desired.
- Bake for 18 to 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.