Swap potatoes for cauliflower to create this low-calorie twist on a brunch classic.
CAULIFLOWER HASH BROWNS WITH SPICY KETCHUP RECIPE
(Makes 8 or more hash browns, depending on the size of the cauliflower)
Spicy Ketchup (make ahead)
1 Tbsp. olive oil
½ small shallot, minced
2 cloves garlic, grated or minced
1 Tbsp. SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend
1 Tbsp. cider vinegar
1 pinch each: ground cloves and allspice
¼ tsp. paprika
¼ tsp. cumin
¼ tsp. cayenne (or to taste)
¾ tsp. salt
2 tsp. tomato paste
1 8-oz. can tomato sauce or pureed tomatoes
Fresh ground black pepper to taste
Cauliflower Hash Browns
One small head of cauliflower
½ white onion
2 tsp. chopped fresh parsley
Salt and pepper or all-purpose seasoning blend to taste
1 egg, beaten
2 Tbsp. all purpose flour
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1. In a small, heavy-bottomed pot on medium heat, sauté shallot and garlic in olive oil until caramelized and very soft.
2. Stir in SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend and vinegar. Then add in all other ingredients and stir frequently (to keep bottom from burning) while sauce thickens over medium heat, about 10 more minutes.
3. Remove from heat and cool. Refrigerate, tightly covered if making ahead.
4. Grate cauliflower and onion in a food processor or on a box grater.
5. Add the mixture into a bowl with the parsley, seasoning, egg, and flour. (If you’re using a large cauliflower, you will need to add more egg and flour.) Mix well.
6. Heat the olive oil in a skillet on medium heat. Form the cauliflower mixture into patties immediately before placing into skillet. Sauté the hash browns until deep, golden brown and then flip. Gently press out any moisture with a spatula.
7. Once the second side is deep, golden brown, move from the oil to a cooling rack or a cookie sheet. Make ahead and keep warm in oven on low setting. Serve hot with a side of Spicy Ketchup.