Celebrate apple season with this delicious, homemade Apple Cinnamon Cake!
2 cups white whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon table salt
½ cup vegetable oil
¾ cup unsweetened applesauce
3 large eggs
¾ cup SPLENDA® Naturals Sugar & Stevia Blend
1 pound crisp apples, chopped (~3 cups from 3 to 4 medium apples; gala, jazz, fuji)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Powdered sugar (optional)*
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat bundt or tube pan with cooking spray and set aside.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together flours, 1 tablespoon cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3.In a large bowl, combine oil, applesauce, eggs, and SPLENDA® Sweetener. Whisk until smooth.
4.Gradually whisk dry ingredients into wet ingredients just until combined (do not overmix). Toss chopped apples with lemon juice and using a rubber spatula, fold in 2/3 of the apples.
5. Pour batter into greased pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle remaining apples and remaining teaspoon of cinnamon on top.
6. Bake in preheated oven for 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean. Cool in pan on rack for 15 minutes, then carefully flip over onto rack to cool completely.
7. Using a fine mesh strainer, sprinkle powdered sugar over top of the cake, if desired. Serve once cooled completely.
Nutrition Info Per Serving
Serving Size: 1 slice (1/14th of cake)
Total Fat 9 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 40 mg
Sodium 210 mg
Total Carbohydrate 38 g
Dietary Fiber 4 g
Sugars 15 g
Protein 5 g
*Note: Optional ingredients are not included in the nutrition analysis